This document explains the usage of cookies on map-projections.net.
map-projections.net uses session cookies and persistent cookies
(see below for an detailed explanation of these terms).
Only first-party cookies are used, no third-party cookies are used on this site.
Below, we list the cookies which might be set by map-projections.net, giving their names and their purpose of application.
when you entered map-projections.net. Once you have clicked the button »Dismiss Cookies« to dismiss
the message, that decision is stored in the cookie.
This cookie is essential and technically necessary, therefore you can’t deny it.
Session cookie. This cookie stores your session ID.
This ID is required to recognise several related requests from a specific user and assign them to a session.
On map-projections.net it is, for example, used
– so that you stay in expert mode on our compare projections page, and in “flat oceans” and “south up” mode, once you’ve activated one of the modes,
– to remember your settings of the filters in the thumbnail list and/or the Single View page.
This cookie is rejected if you select »Dismiss Cookies«. Please note that if you do not allow this cookie, some parts of the website may not work properly.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of data which your web browser stores on your computer or mobile device at the request of certain web sites. They enable the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another.
Different types of cookies
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a cookie is either a:
- session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser or
- persistent cookie which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
As for the domain to which it belongs, there are either:
- first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain
map-projections.net previously used some additional cookies.
Currently, these cookies are neither set nor read, however they might still be stored in the web browser you use in case you visited our website before that date.
If map-projections.net detects these cookies on your system, it will try to delete them. Nonetheless they are listed below, for reasons of completeness and in case the deletion failed.
- This cookie saved your decision to allow or dismiss cookies. It has been replaced by the above mentioned mp_cookieconsent_status.
- mp_user / mp_email
If you entered a comment on map-projections.net, there was the option to save the
name and email address you provided to a cookie, in order to prepopulate the input form
with this data on your next visit. This option has been removed completely. After all,
most browsers offer the option to save input data anyway.
(Note: This refers only to map-projections.net itself. On blog.map-projections.net, this option never existed.)
- In case you activated the expert mode on our compare projections page, this cookie used to remember your choice. It has been replaced by saving this bit of information in a session variable as explained above.
- This cookie saved the setting of the filters in the thumbnail list and/or the Single View page. This, too, has been replaced by using the session variable.
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser
(see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will
affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit.
Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and
features of the this site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
However, even with cookies disabled, you will be able to retrieve all kinds of information that is offered by map-projections.net.
Any more questions?
feel free to contact us!